Monday, September 28, 2009

Retrenchment


Yes,
I have been retrenched, well sort of. You need to work for a company to be able to get retrenched.  I was only consulting.  But since they retrenched about 45 people, the contractors, including me were obviously on the chopping block first.  I became complacent because I had such a long notice period written into my contract and I never received the required notice letter untill a month ago.

Wow - was I mistaken, just because you work with the labour law every day and is supposed to know it by heart, doesnt mean it applies to you.  I am now mostly unemployed - Im still consulting twice a week untill that gets cancelled as well - and I must tell you its scary.

I am (used to be) the HR, I have turned away hundreds of would be employees.  This is the second retrenchment Ive gone through, and although you feel sorry for the single mothers and men whose wives are alcholics etc. etc.  you still dont really know what it feels like.  There are NO jobs available in this country, unless youre willing to move to Gauteng and work for "danger pay" (thats my opinion) or you are a hundred and twenty four years old and have enough experience to be completely over qualified - in which case you still wont get the job, because in six months you might want an increase to go with all your qualifications...

So basically - youre screwed.  (Unless youve been to prison and want a future in politics) 
So you start your own little business with the meagre savings you managed to accrue during all your years of forced slavery.  But surprise, surprise.  The economy is too weak, no-one has any money to spend on whatever luxury you are trying to sell.. Whitin six months you have no job, and now you have no savings.  Your house, your car and your BED gets reposessed.  Youre sleeping in your mother in laws guest room (if youre lucky) and living on alms.

Well so help me - if I ever get to that point (the in law thing) I think Ill move to Johannesburg and brave the violence.  (as if its so much safer in the Cape...)  I would just maybe leave my daughter down here, yes - with the in laws.  At least then shell grow up.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, be strong. my uncle worked as a contractor for a company for 17years. he was given a termination letter and his case was taken up by http://www.retrenchmentassist.co.za/ who argued that he was technically an employee of the company because he worked for them on exclusive basis and took instructions from his superiors who happen to be employed by the company. The company opted to settle out of labour court after seeking senior counsel opinion. Your case may be similar and you may approach an attorney for an opinion. Good luck! Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah unfortunately I was contracting as the HR Person - Which means I was the one who drew up the contracts. The only thing they did wrong was the notice peiod.

    ReplyDelete